We may need to collect personal information about you and others including names, addresses, phone numbers, and other contact details, as well as details regarding directorships, shareholdings, employment history, bank account details, credit card information, tax file numbers and credit information (as that term is defined in the Act). We may also collect details of the age, sex, hobbies, and other personal information about you or others.
We may need to collect personal information so we can:
- identify our clients, potential clients, and their representatives;
- identify parties with whom our clients have dealings or who are in some way involved in proceedings involving our clients;
- identify any actual or potential conflicts of interest in acting for particular clients;
- inform you or others of any initiatives we think may be of interest to you or them;
- inform you or others of developments in the law and relevant business markets;
- provide or offer you or others services or other benefits;
- conduct our business and provide our services in a professional and efficient manner; and
- develop and implement initiatives to improve our services.
If we are not provided with all the personal information we request, we may be unable to act for or do business with you or others.
Unless it is unreasonable or impractical, we will collect personal information directly from the individual concerned. However, an individual’s representatives may hold personal information (eg financial or bank account details or a credit reference) that we may need to access for particular dealings, legal proceedings or other purposes. Where we are at liberty to do so, we will use our best endeavors to seek an individual’s consent before obtaining their personal information from third parties.
Personal information may be collected by us:
- when we are contacted about our services, in person or over the telephone or Internet;
- during the course of a dealing or proceedings involving a client;
- when we negotiate and enter into dealings; or
- when we respond to an inquiry, where we consider personal details are required or appropriate to fulfil the query.
The personal information of our clients or their representatives will usually be recorded on the file concerning the matter in which the individual is involved or for which the personal information was collected and/or updated on our computer database.
Any additional purpose for which the information is collected (not included in this policy) will be identified when we collect the personal information, or as soon as practicable afterwards.